International applicants

All international prospective and appointed staff members, and invited international professional visitors to the University, are required to obtain a valid entry permit (visa), before arriving in Australia or starting work at the University.

Curtin is an approved employer sponsor so we are able to nominate international applicants for some visa types.

Finding the right visa

The visa and associated work rights must be appropriate to the type of work or purpose of your stay, and the length of time you will be participating in University life. Most visas used by international staff and visitors at Australian universities fall into the category of employer sponsored visas.

Many Australian employers including this University apply to the Department of Home Affairs for permission to invite overseas professionals or employ skilled workers from overseas to fill vacancies in particular occupations in Australia. Employer sponsored visas may include work rights for accompanying family members, enable dependent children to attend school and offer a range of options in terms of period of stay.

Visiting Curtin

We may request that you attend an interview in person as part of the recruitment process. If that is the case, we will meet travel and accommodation costs incurred as part of the interview process. Whilst you are at Curtin, please contact us for more details on joining our University.


We recognise that moving can be daunting and relocation packages are available. Subject to approval of the employing area, a suitable package may be offered in line with Curtin’s relocation guidelines. A member of our People and Culture team will guide you through this process if relocation assistance is part of your offer.

Curtin’s relocation specialist can also assist with advice on housing, schools and tours of the city; this is also subject to approval of the employing area.